Use up your ripe bananas to make easy vegan banana bread – the perfect breakfast treat to enjoy with your morning cuppa. We love it toasted with peanut butter
- Preparation and cooking time
- Prep:10 mins
- Cook:40 mins
- Serves 8 – 10
- 3 large black bananas
- 75ml vegetable oil or sunflower oil, plus extra for the tin
- 100g brown sugar
- 225g plain flour (or use self-raising flour and reduce the baking powder to 2 heaped tsp)
- 3 heaped tsp baking powder
- 3 tsp cinnamon or mixed spice
- 50g dried fruit or nuts (optional)
- STEP 1
Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Mash 3 large black peeled bananas with a fork, then mix well with 75g vegetable or sunflower oil and 100g brown sugar.
- STEP 2
Add 225g plain flour, 3 heaped tsp baking powder and 3 tsp cinnamon or mixed spice, and combine well. Add 50g dried fruit or nuts, if using.
- STEP 3
Bake in an oiled, lined 2lb loaf tin for 20 minutes. Check and cover with foil if the cake is browning.
- STEP 4
Bake for another 20 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean.
- STEP 5
Allow to cool a little before slicing. It's delicious freshly baked, but develops a lovely gooey quality the day after.