Serve these pastry snakes at a Halloween party or as a spooky snack for kids. Keep the flavours interesting by coating your snakes with a variety of seeds
- Preparation and cooking time
- Prep:27 mins
- Cook:14 mins
- Serves 20
- 320g pack ready-rolled puff pastry
- 50g grated parmesan or vegetarian alternative
- flour, for dusting
- 1 egg, beaten
- poppy seeds, nigella seeds, sesame seeds or celery seeds, to decorate
- black or green peppercorns
- STEP 1
Heat the oven to 220C/200C fan/ gas 7. Unroll the pastry and top with a couple of handfuls of parmesan, then fold in half. On a lightly floured surface, roll the pastry out to a thickness of 2mm. Cut into 1cm strips, then twist each strip several times to form a snake.
- STEP 2
Lay out the snakes on a baking sheet, then brush each one with egg and sprinkle with more cheese. To decorate, scatter over the seeds. Flatten one end of each snake and press in two peppercorns for eyes. Bake for 12-14 mins, or until golden. Leave to cool. Will keep for two days in an airtight container.