- Preparation and cooking time
- Prep:15 mins
- Cook:30 mins
- Serves 2 – 4
- 320g sheet ready-rolled puff pastry
- 60g tomato-based pizza or pasta sauce
- 100g grated mozzarella
- toppings of your choice (we used pancetta, chopped chipolatas and finely chopped red onion)
- 3 tbsp pesto, vegetarian if needed
- STEP 1
Heat the oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Unroll the pastry and use a small, sharp knife to cut out a large Christmas tree shape, reserving any offcuts. Carefully lift the pastry tree onto a large baking sheet lined with baking parchment.
- STEP 2
Spread over the tomato sauce, pushing it right to the edges. Sprinkle over the cheese and any toppings. Spread the pesto over the pastry offcuts and cut most of these into 1cm-wide strips using a pizza cutter. Twist and arrange over the tree to make ‘tinsel’. Stamp out stars or other shapes from any remaining offcuts, then use to decorate the tree or bake alongside it.
- STEP 3
Bake for 20-25 mins (removing any shapes baked alongside after 15 mins) until the pastry is puffed up and golden and the cheese has melted. Serve straightaway.